Whatever you are selling, keep track of your sales leads! Don’t ever lose track of a customer inquiry. It could lead to your largest order ever.
When a query about your product or service comes in, follow up immediately. The steps in your process should be something like this:
1. Record the sales lead in your computer using a contact manager program such as “Act!”
2. Prioritize the lead with a three-level grading system.
- Level 1 means the customer has an immediate need.
- Level 2 is a need within a month
- Level 3 is a long-term interest.
3. Send requested information immediately, then follow up with a phone call or email to make sure they saw it and remember getting it.
If they don’t remember getting it, send it again.
4. Follow up again according to the lead’s priority level.
Offer to demonstrate your product, visit the customer to quote on the job, or explain in detail why your product is better than the competition’s.
Your first contact with a potential customer can make or break your reputation. If a prompt response from you isn’t what your customer sees, he may assume that you behave that way in the conduct of the rest of your business as well.
Excellent companies respond quickly and keep careful records of their sales leads.
Share With Us
What’s your system for responding quickly to sales inquiries?